Monday, January 31, 2011

Girls' Night Out!

Have you ever done something and immediately regretted it? And instead of fixing it, you let it nag at you for days, weeks, years even. You think that if you do something about it, then life as you know it will be turned upside down. But really, when you finally confront the problem, the relief is overwhelming. I am continually amazed by the power of forgiveness. In just the past 6 months, I've met with both sides of this seemingly impenetrable wall multiple times- and conquered it. I've forgiven people when before I couldn't stand being in the same room as them. On the other side, I've been forgiven for things which were utterly inexcusable. I am amazed by the number of times we can forgive and be forgiven, even in the most impossible of situations. Seventy times seven. I am truly in awe. 
On a lighter note, how would you like to hear about an adventure? We'll start with our arrival in Logan. My amiga, Heidee, and I arrived in Logan on Saturday, totally stoked to spend the weekend with our friend Kim. Picture the cliche of girls' night out (Mormon style) and you've got it. We went to the mall to....should I tell you? Oh, okay. If you insist... We went to try on prom dresses. Now I know what you're thinking. "Why in the heck are college girls trying on prom dresses???" Honestly, I really couldn't answer that question. I think a part of you never wants to grow up, so every now and again you just have to throw perceptions out the window and do something crazy. HOWEVER. If you are going to do this, DON'T have your friend pick out what you try on (this goes for all shopping excursions). Let's just say that yours truly ended up in a pink (shudder), sparkly (barf), fluffy (...just died a little inside) prom dress. Kim, love you dearly, but that was torture.. Haha! One thing you need to know about me is this: I hate pink. Passionately. Okay, now we can move on. Here comes the cliche-->
For the remainder of the evening, we...
1. Ate pizza (waaay too much)
2. Watched chick flicks ("You've Got Mail" and "A Walk to Remember")
3. Ate ice cream
And we had a grand ol' time! The following morning brought about some spiritual refreshers and new adventures. We went out to a little town in the middle of nowhere to hear my friend, Kyle, talk to some youth.   The drive took seemingly forever as we continued into the fog (which was still around, by the way). Totally out of the blue, this little town just appears. It was actually kind of crazy. One second, blah, boring fields. The next, BAM! Cute lil' town. Long story short, we found the church after second-guessing our directions like 50 times. We weren't really sure what we were in for. All we knew was that Kyle was speaking at a church and we were there to watch/support. What a surprise it was to find a bunch of youth where we thought there'd be adults. It was a major throw-back (even though that wasn't that long ago for me). I'd almost forgotten the unique dynamic present in youth groups. The obvious jr. high crushes sitting by each other and the sudden courage to be sarcastic and outspoken was apparent in the quick-witted comments. Probably the funniest thing I saw while there was the case of brother vs sister. This kid is up doing announcements and stuff, probably the quorum leader, and realized afterward that he didn't have a place to sit. As it so happened, there was one seat left. Kyle pointed it out and was just like "why don't you sit there?" The look on that kid's face was totally priceless. Turns out that the last seat was right next to his sister. This I totally understand. They looked about as far apart in age as my older brother and me. Classic. Well, you're probably sick of reading this by now. Enjoy life and don't forget to look for the little happy things along the way.

2 comments:

  1. Alex doesn't like pink. You learn something new everyday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you didn't end up in Provo...or Boise.

    ReplyDelete