Saturday, March 19, 2011

Glorious Sunshine!

Arizona. Land of the sunshine. In other words, it's my favorite place ever. Imagine being able to wake up and jump right into the pool. Yeah, it's pretty much amazing. We began the journey on Friday after the longest day of school I've ever had, or so it seemed. I lucked out because my parents decided to rent a car with a more spacious and comfortable backseat. Granted it was still a car and space was limited, but it was ten times better than the Jetta. So how do you fill eleven hours? As much joy as it would bring me to say we sang show tunes, we're not that cheesy. No, instead we listened to the usual- country music. I'm not opposed to it, but after eleven hours of that and news radio, I think I'll be fine to avoid it until the next road trip. But enough about car trips. Let's get to Arizona! Pure bliss. That's the only was I can describe it. The best way to share my adventures would have to be chronologically. 
Day 1
Good morning sunshine! I woke up to 70 degrees without a cloud in the sky. Breakfast was served outside with a picturesque view of our own personal swimming pool and the canal that runs through the neighborhood. Of course, breakfast in Arizona is never complete without...MUFFINS!!! Yum! For our first day, we decided to adventure to the swap meat. It is amazing what treasures you can find there. We spent a few hours just going through all the little shops and exploring them. It was a blast! As it turned out, the place we were staying was only 15 minutes away from the home of my good friend, Jordan. So, naturally we schemed to hang out. After taking like an hour to decide what to do, we went to the mall nearby and found the Barnes and Noble. If you ever want entertainment, just go to a bookstore sometime. Good times. After a Target trip to retrieve treats, we went to the Marriott. They have this amazing fire pit outside which is just perfect for sitting by and talking. And that is exactly what we did. However, it was by the pool. Note to self: make sure seat cushions are dry BEFORE sitting on them. That was fun...
Day 2
What does one do on a beautiful day while on vacation? The options are endless. For our second day, we decided to go to a little outdoor shopping center. It was fun to see all the children playing in the fountain. Everyone just seemed so happy! The best part of our excursion? The cowboys! There was a rodeo going on nearby, so there were hundreds of people walking around all decked out in their Western attire. 
Day 3
Our last day in Arizona. So what did we do? Swim and tan, my friends. Swim and tan. Day 3 was dedicated solely to relaxation. Naturally sunscreen was forgotten and sunburns were the result. But burns turn to tan and I think I can live with that. We'll call this last part "the epic adventure." Since the family was just chillin, I once again hung out with Jordan. Along with some of his friends, we went on a hike up a mountain by his house. It definitely makes my list of coolest hikes I've been on. The bottom of the mountain was mostly sand and gravel, but gradually the rocks got bigger and bigger until we were climbing boulders at the top. The hike was cool in and of itself, but was made all the cooler by the fact that it was pitch black and we didn't have flashlights. Naturally such a hike came with its slips, trips, and falls. Exhibit A: me slipping in the sand and falling on my butt. Thanks to my phone in my back pocket, that felt oh so nice...Not... Exhibit B: jumping off a rock and twisting my ankle (just a wee bit, not enough to worry about). Exhibit C: tripping over barbed wire and killing my awesome purple shoes. But what are a few mishaps in comparison with the incredible view from the top? Looking out at the city lights at night has always been one of my favorite sights. There's something so captivating in the way they shine. Everything seems so small at that point. I can only imagine how astronauts must feel when looking down at the Earth from way out in space. We finished the night with some flan from a nearby restaurant. Best stuff ever! Haven't tried flan? Hop to it! You are missing out! Well, another too long car trip later and we were back home. So there you have it. My Arizona adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment